I have a problem with a PHP client that is frequently getting locked out
by the following errors:
061020 14:57:25 [Warning] Aborted connection 7 to db: 'dbname' user: 'root'
host: `hostname.collaborativefusion.com' (Got an error reading communication
packets)

About once a day, the PHP application becomes unable to contact the
database and we get an error suggesting that we use
"mysqladmin flush-hosts".  This re-enables the connection, until it
happens again.  I'd like to actually _fix_ the problem, but I need
to keep the application available until then.

I'm interested in help on 2 fronts:
1) If anyone can tell me why PHP suddenly started causing these errors
   and how to make it stop, I'd be interested to hear.  I've already
   tried turning off persistent connections to no avail.
2) Until I can diagnose and fix the real cause of the problem, how can
   I configure the MySQL server _not_ to disable connections as a
   result of connection aborts?

Details:
First off, the appearance of this problem coincides with a large system
upgrade, so it's obviously something new either in PHP or MySQL.
Client:
FreeBSD 5.3-RELEASE-p37
php5-pgsql-5.1.6_1
mysql-client-4.1.21