> Bill, you can up the value of 'max_connect_errors' (default is 10 it
> appears) to make this problem appear less frequently while you
> troubleshoot.

Thanks for the thought, Dan.  Before I do that, I'll just add a cron
job to do the flush-hosts every hour or so.

Either way, both of those solutions are simply workarounds.

> See more information at:
> http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/blocked-host.html
> http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/communication-errors.html
>
> As you'll see from above - Could be a bad username and password from
> your PHP app

Unlikely, as the application works fine (when not blocked).  If the
username/password were wrong, it would never work.

> (should it really be connecting as root?),

Sure.  This database is the only one this server will ever house, and
there is only one user for the database (per the application design,
which I have no control over).  Any user I would create would be
just as much a security risk as the root user.

> PHP not
> closing connection, bad hardware, network problems, etc.  If it
> coincides with a system upgrade, what exactly was upgraded?

Lots of stuff.  MySQL server, MySQL client, PHP, the OS.

As I stated, if there's no obvious answer, I just want to disable the
automatic blocking of hosts so I can debug this on my own time.

Anyone know the config option to do so?  I've been unable to find it.

> On 10/24/06, Bill Moran <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > I have a problem with a PHP client that is frequently getting locked out
> > by the following errors:
> > 061020 14:57:25 [Warning] Aborted connection 7 to db: 'dbname' user: 'root'
> > host: `hostname.collaborativefusion.com' (Got an error reading
> > communication packets)
> >
> > About once a day, the PHP application becomes unable to contact the
> > database and we get an error suggesting that we use
> > "mysqladmin flush-hosts".  This re-enables the connection, until it
> > happens again.  I'd like to actually _fix_ the problem, but I need
> > to keep the application available until then.
> >
> > I'm interested in help on 2 fronts:
> > 1) If anyone can tell me why PHP suddenly started causing these errors
> >    and how to make it stop, I'd be interested to hear.  I've already
> >    tried turning off persistent connections to no avail.
> > 2) Until I can diagnose and fix the real cause of the problem, how can
> >    I configure the MySQL server _not_ to disable connections as a
> >    result of connection aborts?
> >
> > Details:
> > First off, the appearance of this problem coincides with a large system
> > upgrade, so it's obviously something new either in PHP or MySQL.
> > Client:
> > FreeBSD 5.3-RELEASE-p37
> > php5-pgsql-5.1.6_1
> > mysql-client-4.1.21
> > Server:
> > FreeBSD 5.3-RELEASE-p37
> > mysql-server-4.1.21
> >
> > --
> > Bill Moran
> > Collaborative Fusion Inc.
> >
> > --

Bill Moran
Collaborative Fusion Inc.

IMPORTANT: This message contains confidential information and is
intended only for the individual named. If the reader of this
message is not an intended recipient (or the individual
responsible for the delivery of this message to an intended
recipient), please be advised that any re-use, dissemination,
distribution or copying of this message is prohibited. Please
notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received
this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system.
E-mail transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or
destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses. The
sender therefore does not accept liability for any errors or
omissions in the contents of this message, which arise as a
result of e-mail transmission.