I came up with a work around when we encountered this. I don't remember exactly (and I don't have access to that code anymore), but I think we manually put a piece of code in our SQL setup scripts, before any of our insert statements. This 'mysql command' would set the next available ID to whatever we wanted, its just that if you mysqldump the database back out, then load it back in, this next ID setting won't be remembered. So we had to add it to our dump/setup script each time. You'd have to look in the docs to find what command does this, its something for setting the next auto increment id. Hope this helps.

-Ryan

Daevid Vincent wrote:
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/innodb-auto-increment-column.html

We have recently switched several database tables from MYISM to INNODB, only
to find out this colossal design flaw in InnoDB tables.

We ship out mySQL on our appliances in enterprise level scenarios. We often
like to start the AUTO_INCREMENT for several tables at 10,000 -- this way we
can reserve the lower 'block' of IDs for our own internal and 'default' use
so all customers have the same basic database schema. It also makes our code
easier to write as we can, in one easy swoop, make the ID's of any record <
10000 immutable, uneditable, etc.

Are there plans to fix what we perceive to be a tremendous bug? Why would
you make it so that the AUTO_INCREMENT value is stored in memory only?! What
use is that? I would have preferred if AUTO_INCREMENT threw an error on
InnoDB tables, this way we would have known this months ago instead of now
that we're well into this porting of tables, schema and now code.
This is such a subtle but significant change to the table-type that it
should have been made painfully obvious to anyone trying to switch types.
You are costing us many man-hours now of re-architecting existing code, and
trying to figure out a way to upgrade existing customers.
...And yes, we *DO* pay you your $10,000 support contract.

*sigh*

This is very disappointing.