Is mysqlhotcopy still considered "beta"?  We steered clear of it for
production use for that reason.

Tim

-----Original Message-----
From: Dan Buettner [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, November 13, 2006 12:39 PM
To: Van
Cc: mysql@lists.mysql.com
Subject: Re: Backing up large dbs with tar

Van, I'll second what Gerald said about mysqlhotcopy.

When we first began using MySQL at my last job, we had terrible
problems with MySQL crashing.  Turned out to be due to a 3rd party
backup process attempting to lock and read the database files while
MySQL was attempting to use them.

Using mysqlhotcopy to copy the files elsewhere, and excluding the data
directory from the backup software, gave us a stable solution.

mysqldump might also work well for you, as it can lock
tables/databases and give you a consistent snapshot.  Potentially
takes longer to restore from a mysqldump file though.

HTH,
Dan