On Fri, May 18, 2001 at 11:27:25AM +0200, Johan Andersson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I heard something about a master election feature or something that
> will decide if a server would act as master or slave in a mysql
> replication "cluster"..
>
> But that was for version 4.0 ?

Correct. If you check the archives, you'll likely find the discussion.
I believe Monty pointed a few folks to the algorythm that they're
planning to use.

> I'm currently trying to set up a solution where all mysql machines
> starts up with no slave or master running and then a monitoring
> script is choosing the server that should be master..  and starts
> the slave on the other ones. And to let the clients always connect
> to the current master I've like a masterdb hostname in a internal
> dns zone which always points to the correct master..
>
> And when a master goes offline, the next slave in the list (which is
> up-to-date with the binlog from the master that was stopped) will be
> chosen as master..
>
> I want to hear from you that have solutions like the one above
> running..  and tips and if there is some things that may not work
> etc..

I do something similar, but without the automation. There is a master
and a few slaves. They all have names like db1, db2, db3, etc. And
there's a db CNAME that points to the active master so that the
clients can find it.

If failures are low and you keep your TTL low enough, it will likely
work fairly well...

Jeremy
--
Jeremy D. Zawodny, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Technical Yahoo - Yahoo Finance

MySQL 3.23.29: up 5 days, processed 35,053,730 queries (79/sec. avg)