I need some clarification on the old password issue as I am having problems
logging in.

Here is what I am running into now.

Original Server config:
my.cnf is NOT using the old_passwords=1 under MySQL-server-4.1.14-0
I am able to login via phpmyadmin without problem, remotely with mysqladmin
and of course applications.
perl-DBD-MySQL-2.9003-5
MySQL-devel-4.1.14-0
MySQL-server-4.1.14-0
MySQL-client-4.1.14-0
php-mysql-4.3.11-2.8.4.legacy
mod_auth_mysql-20030510-5
MySQL-shared-compat-4.1.13-0
MySQL-embedded-4.1.14-0
MySQL-bench-4.1.14-0

New Server config:
tried old_passwords=1 both on & off under mysql-4.1.20-1.RHEL4.1
libdbi-dbd-mysql-0.6.5-10.RHEL4.1
mysql-4.1.20-1.RHEL4.1
mod_auth_mysql-2.6.1-2.2
php-mysql-4.3.9-3.22
mysql-bench-4.1.20-1.RHEL4.1
mysql-server-4.1.20-1.RHEL4.1
mysqlclient10-3.23.58-4.RHEL4.1
perl-DBD-MySQL-2.9004-3.1
MySQL-python-1.0.0-1.RHEL4.1
mysql-devel-4.1.20-1.RHEL4.1

New server tried running with both the old_passwords=1 and not really
getting consistant results.
yes I restart mysqld after changes etc.  Part of the problem may also be
related to the host field in which some times I use the % so that I can
connect via the gui tools.

So are my questions:

1. if I want to use the older apps, and phpmyadmin etc do I need to run
old_passwords=1?

2. If I start mysqld with the old_passwords=1 set, when I use phpmyadmin to
edit someone's password do I need to use the password drop down or the
old_password drop down?

3. For remote access if I setup % in the host as I have done in the past
that should allow me to login both remotely & to localhost right?
( again this works perfectly on my older box)

Hope this makes sense.

Thanks,

Joey