Hi,

Thanks for the responses!

I am creating the table from an existing (MyISAM) table using the command:

CREATE TABLE memRAW (mID SMALLINT NOT NULL, pID MEDIUMINT NOT NULL, mp
TINYINT NOT NULL) ENGINE = MEMORY SELECT * FROM RAW;

The error that I get is in the MySQL client application:
ERROR 1114 (HY000): The table 'memRAW' is full

The existing table (RAW) does contain a (large) index (MYI file?), but I was
under the impression that this file does not transfer when creating the new
table.  In any case, using "free" shows 1.57GB free, which should be enough
to fit the table twice, and is just enough to fit both MYD and MYI files for
the MyISAM version of the database.

I get similar errors when selecting only a subset of the 100,000,000 rows.
(i.e. adding a "WHERE mID = " clause to the end of the select statement).

I am running SuSe 10.1 and MySQL version is 5.0.27 linux i686, glibc
compiled executibles.

I'm hoping that this is just caused by a configuration setting that I am
missing when reading the docs.

Any ideas?

Thanks again!

On 12/1/06, Nils Meyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Hi Charles,

Charles Danko wrote:
> Each entry consists of 2 medium_int and 1 tiny_int variables, and the
> table
> contains just over 100,000,000 rows.  By my count, this makes just over
> 700MB of data.  The machine I am using has 2GB, but I am still getting
an
> out of memory error.  What am I doing wrong?

You use the memory storage engine If I am getting it right? Does MySQL
report that it's out of memory (table full error) or does the OS do so?
Are there any indexes (might double the data for your small table)?

regards
Nils