On Sunday 17 December 2006 13:20, Mike Duffy wrote:
> My intuitive judgment is that we would be better having several smaller
> systems in a cluster rather than one huge powerful system and that we would
> be better off building rather than than buying.  If you think I am wrong on
> either of these points, please share your thoughts and send a link to a
> recommended system.

Well, this gets tricky.  If you take a look at:

http://www.mysql.com/products/database/cluster/faq.html

you'll notice very high requirements for each cluster node.  This is mainly
due to the fact that mysql clustering does not support filesystem writes
(right now at least, I've heard that's supported later).  That said, the
database has to be stored into memory.  If you have a 10 node cluster
supporting a 5 gig database, that means all 10 boxes have to have 5+gigs of
memory, otherwise it won't work.

A single system is a bit easier to manage, but you have to be extra particular
about your failsafes, as you've now centralized the point of failure to 1
machine.  On the other hand, should your database grow, you just feed it more
ram and be done with it, or upgrade the server later on (if you get a really
large db).

--
Chris White
PHP Programmer