I ran into this problem while attempting to altering tables (by adding extra
columns), which is just as well, as the cosequences would have been dire if I'd
found it any other way.  I haven't found any other unambiguous references to
this problem on this list, where I was searching for a clue, so I'll mention it
here for the sake of any future unfortunate who runs into the same thing.

I'm using InnoDB tables.  I tried increasing the various memory and tmp file
size limits in the configuration with no success (innodb_buffer_pool_size,
innodb_additional_mem_pool_size, tmp_table_size), and pointed the tmpdir at a
drive with plenty of room (tmpdir = /home/tmp/mysql).  I also tried SET
SQL_BIG_TABLES=1; no luck there.  All those things have been suggested on this
list, and have helped some people, but not me in this case.

In my configuration file there was a line that said:
innodb_data_file_path = ibdata1:10M:autoextend:max:1900M

This refers to the data file that contains all of my databases.  The number
1900M is close to the 2G filesize limit on my linux server.  With all of the
chatter about other causes of Error 1114, I'd missed that this file had grown to
it's limit.

When this happens, you add another datafile (assuming you have room), and MySQL
will carry on using both. I changed that line to something like this (and
restarted mysql):
innodb_data_file_path = ibdata1:1900M;ibdata2:10M:autoextend:max:1900M

More info here:
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/4.1/en/innodb-configuration.html

It's important to check for this before you run out of room and your database
seizes up. I'm going to put a script in the server crontab for it, as it's
unlikely to happen again for years, and the next guy might well need a warning
and explaination.

Regards,
     Simeon