[snip]
I'm working through (my first day) PHP & MySQL for Dummies and I'm stuck
on
the primary field for my database.
I want to create a racing pigeon results database that has 6 fields
only.
The results will be imported into the database in bulk from a CSV file
Owner - GBring - Ering - Arrivedtime - date - position

If I'm not wrong, surely whichever one of the first 3 fields I create as
primary field will stop me entering any races after the first one,
because
every race thereafter will always for the most part be the same owners
and
rings.

So do I have to have a primary key?
[/snip]

You do not, but it is bad database design. The simplest (but not
necessarily best) thing to do is add an auto-increment column and
declare it as your primary key.