Hi,

The maximum effective table size for MySQL databases is usually determined by
operating system constraints on file sizes, not by MySQL internal limits.

If you need a MyISAM table that is larger than 4GB in size (and your operating
system supports large files), the CREATE TABLE statement allows AVG_ROW_LENGTH
and MAX_ROWS options.

The InnoDB storage engine maintains InnoDB tables within a tablespace that can
be created from several files. This allows a table to exceed the maximum
individual file size. The tablespace can include raw disk partitions, which
allows extremely large tables. The maximum tablespace size is 64TB.

On Linux 2.2, you can get MyISAM tables larger than 2GB in size by using the
Large File Support (LFS) patch for the ext2 filesystem. On Linux 2.4, patches
also exist for ReiserFS to get support for big files (up to 2TB).  However, the
maximum available file size still depends on several factors, one of them being
the filesystem used to store MySQL tables.

You can check the maximum table size for a table with the SHOW TABLE STATUS
statement or with myisamchk -dv tbl_name. If your large table is read-only, you
can use myisampack to compress it. myisampack usually compresses a table by at
least 50%, so you can have, in effect, much bigger tables.

Thanks

Visolve DB Team