I did a DB conversion before that with "ALTER DATABASE db_name CHARACTER SET utf8"
That worked wonderfully, except not as expected. ;-)
It basically converted only the database itself. so I had to do a separate "ALTER TABLE ..." for each table.

The database encoding more establishes the default to use when creating new tables. As far as adjusting every single table, you can work with your Favorite Scripting Program (tm) and run the query:

`SHOW TABLES`

to get a list of all tables for that database (the column you want is called Tables_in_[database name here]), which you can get the exact column by running it in console or your Favorite SQL Program (tm). Then simply loop over the result set and run the alter table command on each table.