Hi

You can 'attack' the problem from another perspective :-P

I found out a tool (Linux) to convert all characters in a latin1 file to
utf8.
The command name is 'iconv' and in Debian it is shipped with the libc6
package.
So basically dump you DB and convert the file then import it.

See the article here:

http://gentoo-wiki.com/TIP_Convert_latin1_to_UTF-8_in_MySQL

Hope it helps.