Hi all,

Just wondering how people are dealing with tables that are used for logging,
ie: insert only tables supporting occasional queries used for audit or event
logs.

These tables will keep growing and there is no need to keep them that large
so what is the best strategy in managing the data in them.

I was thinking of going with MyIsam tables because I don't need transactions
n the table data is self contained and portable.  I would change my
application to insert into tables which are named with a datestamp component
(ie: have the apps determine the name of the table based on current time
before doing an insert) and then have a cron job  to create new tables as
needed and to also backup and remove older tables as they are no longer
being used.

Any thoughts on this ?

Thanks,

Yong.