On 2/16/07, Juan Eduardo Moreno <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On 2/16/07, Mark Papadakis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Good day,

R: are you using MyISAM or InnoDB tables?

InnoDB, only.

> For the past 2 weeks, we have been dealing with some rather strange
problems.
> While nothing changed in terms of the mySQL server or clients
> configuration ( including the options provided to the server during
> startup, by either my.cnf or as arguments to the executable ), we are
> getting the following kind of errors.

> o Server shutdown in progress

R: Could be any fatal error in mysql that produce this "server shutdown in
progress"

True, however the server doesn't actually shut down, nor it crashes or
anything like that, except once.
It is as if all threads are killed, or at least the questions that are
actively being processed.

> o Out of memory (Needed 5256540 bytes)

R: What is your sort_buffer_size setting?

sort_buffer_size = 24MB

> o Sort Aborted

R: filesort.cc ..The error 'Sort aborted' comes if the sort function fails
for some reason. You can try identified what query is a cause of error.

The amount of data that needs to be processed (i.e sorted) for those
queries to return the results set is small, judging from the database
structure as well as the actual queries. Plus, those queries are
different every time. Executing those SELECT statements later on,
turns out they are going through just a handful of rows anyway.

> o o Can't create a new thread (errno 11); if you are not out of
> available memory, you can consult the manual for a possible
> OS-dependent bug
> o Unknown Error ( this occurs more often than the rest )

R: What say the  error file in specific?

Not much can be deducting from going through the error file.

070216  8:34:49 [ERROR] Out of memory; check if mysqld or some other
process uses all available memory; if not, you may have to use
'ulimit' to allow
mysqld to use more memory or you can add more swap space

070213 20:34:49 [ERROR] /usr/local/mysql/bin/mysqld: Sort aborted

The only meaningful message block is:
BEGIN

070216  8:34:49 [ERROR] Out of memory; check if mysqld or some other
process uses all available memory; if not, you may have to use
'ulimit' to allow
mysqld to use more memory or you can add more swap space
070216  8:34:49 [ERROR] Out of memory; check if mysqld or some other
process uses all available memory; if not, you may have to use
'ulimit' to allow
mysqld to use more memory or you can add more swap space
mysqld got signal 6;
This could be because you hit a bug. It is also possible that this binary
or one of the libraries it was linked against is corrupt, improperly built,
or misconfigured. This error can also be caused by malfunctioning hardware.
We will try our best to scrape up some info that will hopefully help diagnose
the problem, but since we have already crashed, something is definitely wrong
and this may fail.

key_buffer_size=41943040
read_buffer_size=8384512
max_used_connections=2049
max_connections=2048
threads_connected=964
It is possible that mysqld could use up to
key_buffer_size + (read_buffer_size +
sort_buffer_size)*max_connections = 32752 K
bytes of memory
Hope that's ok; if not, decrease some variables in the equation.

You seem to be running 32-bit Linux and have 964 concurrent connections.
If you have not changed STACK_SIZE in LinuxThreads and built the binary
yourself, LinuxThreads is quite likely to steal a part of the global heap for
the thread stack. Please read http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/Linux.html

thd=0x46dc5840
Attempting backtrace. You can use the following information to find out
where mysqld died. If you see no messages after this, something went
terribly wrong...
Cannot determine thread, fp=0xbbf3c438, backtrace may not be correct.
Stack range sanity check OK, backtrace follows:
0x80a0a12
0x82fb4e8
0x83257a1
0x82fb879
0x8325a80
0x838a3b8
0x838a3dd
0x838ae96
0x838b065
0x838a30c
0x812c923
0x83b0fa3
0x8126642
0x8104a29
0x80b410e
0x80b410e
0x80b944a
0x80b0e54
0x80b06f3
0x80afc84
0x82f8c9c
0x83412ea
New value of fp=(nil) failed sanity check, terminating stack trace!
Please read http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/Using_stack_trace.html
and follow instructions on how to resolve the stack trace. Resolved
stack trace is much more helpful in diagnosing the problem, so please do
resolve it
Trying to get some variables.
Some pointers may be invalid and cause the dump to abort...
thd->query at 0x1f284388 = UPDATE content SET hits1 = hits1 + 1 WHERE
src = 'woman'
thd->thread_id=19077185
The manual page at http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/Crashing.html contains
information that should help you find out what is causing the crash.
pure virtual method called

Number of processes running now: 0

END

> There is plenty of memory on the system, as much as there was before
> the problems surfaced.
>
> We moved a database from that system, to another system ( that
> database was the one hit more often ) in hope to perhaps solve the
> problem. Indeed, the errors are coming up less frequently now, but
> they still do.

R: It`s a correct version of MySQL for your OS?

Yes, it is. The problems didn't surface after moving on to 5.026 from
an earlier version, either. Same binaries, same configuration, same
queries ( in terms of structure and frequency ) two weeks ago caused
no problems whatsoever.

> Is there any chance this is due to tables corruption or corruption of
> any other kind on the server side? I didn't see any bug fixes in 0.27+
> revisions that seem to be related to this problem, so I assume its not
> a bug that existed in <= 0.26.

R: Can you try to upgrade your mysql to 5.0.27?.

We will, by Monday.

> Any ideas ?

R: Can you delete your installation of mysql and reinstall it ( install
5.0.27)?

> Thank you very much in advance.
>
> PS: Please reply to this email address as well, if possible.

Thank you.

MarkP