On Thu, Mar 01, 2007 at 08:29:09PM -0800, Gary W. Smith wrote:
> > The table is MyISAM.  I searched on google a bit for info on slow
> > updates with MyISAM and didn't really hit it on the nose.  Can I ask
> > you to elaborate?
> >

> In /etc/my.cnf try adding:
>
> long_query_time = 1
> log-slow-queries=/var/lib/mysql/mysql-slow.log

Let me make the problem a step more frustrating ::-).  All of the
queries and updates to this database are extremely simple and very
predictable.  The database is a backend for DNS.

Inserts are of the form (updates are analogous):

insert into dns_records (zone, host, data, ... )
        values ('domain.com', 'www', '1.2.3.4', ... );

Queries are of the form:

select ttl, type, mx_priority, case
        when lower(type)='txt' then
                concat('\"', data, '\"')
        when lower(type) = 'soa' then
                concat_ws(' ', data, resp_person, serial, refresh, retry,
expire, minimum)
        else data end from dns_records where
        zone = 'domain.com' and host = 'www';

We've fixed a few data formatting issues that made the select queries
slow under certain circumstances, but we're still running into
occasional performance problems running the inserts/updates.

There are no joins, subqueries, transactions, or any of the usual muck
that complicates a performance issue.

--
Ross Vandegrift
[EMAIL PROTECTED]