Marcus Bointon wrote:

Hi Marcus :)

> On 7 Mar 2007, at 08:44, Ian P. Christian wrote:
>
> --single-transaction doesn't _do_ the dump as a transaction, it simply
> wraps the dump in begin/commit statements so it's atomic when restoring.
>
> If the dump is to preserve relational integrity then it has to lock
> tables or disable access (or writes/deletes can happen during the dump).
> There are two alternatives: One is to use innoDB's commercial hotbackup
> utility (which I've not used, but it's apparently 'the way').

I was under the impression that with multi-versioning of InnoDB, that it
wouldn't need to do a write lock?

Sorry to quote this much from 'mysqldump --help'....

--master-data[=#]
This causes the binary log position and filename to be
appended to the output. If equal to 1, will print it as a
CHANGE MASTER command; if equal to 2, that command will
be prefixed with a comment symbol. This option will turn
--lock-all-tables on, unless --single-transaction is
specified too (in which case a global read lock is only
taken a short time at the beginning of the dump - don't
forget to read about --single-transaction below). In all
cases any action on logs will happen at the exact moment
of the dump.Option automatically turns --lock-tables off.

--single-transaction
Creates a consistent snapshot by dumping all tables in a
single transaction. Works ONLY for tables stored in
storage engines which support multiversioning (currently
only InnoDB does); the dump is NOT guaranteed to be
consistent for other storage engines. Option
automatically turns off --lock-tables.

I'll accept my interpritation of the above could be very wrong
however...

> The other
> is one of the reasons for using a slave - stop the slave, do the dump,
> restart the slave and it will catch up anything it missed. It helps if
> you can dedicate a slave for this.

Yes...I'm aware of this one, but alas.. this was my only slave, and it
managed to become out of sync somehow (something to do with a bug when
using 'mysqladmin kill'). Now I know that things like this happen, I'll
take weekly snapshots of the slave data, but like I said - you live and
learn :)

Whilst I'm here and talking about slaves... is it possible to have a
slave to 2 different databases on 2 different hosts?

--
Ian P. Christian ~ http://pookey.co.uk