You wrote, "Actually the way to do this would be as follows:

When you have created a new database, click on the SQL tab and the use
the following to create the user and password:
GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON databasename.* TO [EMAIL PROTECTED] IDENTIFIED
BY 'password'

Hit the submit button and you are set."

* * * * * * * * * *

Actually, that didn't work. I typed the following into my SQL window:

GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON World.* TO [EMAIL PROTECTED] IDENTIFIED BY 'Citizen'

It seemed to process correctly, with no error messages, but no database was
created.

So I created a database manually, then clicked on Privileges. Next, I created a
password and username.

Not only can I not access the database, I can't even access phpMyAdmin now; I
get this error message:

* * * * * * * * * *

Welcome to phpMyAdmin 2.7.0-pl2

phpMyAdmin tried to connect to the MySQL server, and the server rejected the
connection. You should check the host, username and password in config.inc.php
and make sure that they correspond to the information given by the
administrator of the MySQL server.
Error

MySQL said: Documentation
#1045 - Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: YES)

I opened config.inc.php but couldn't find any reference to the database table,
password or username I created. Any tips?

Thanks.