Hello Jeremy

Thank you for the pointer. After make clean, re-configured, re-compiled then tried, but /path/to/bin/mysql --help still shows /etc/my.cnf as the default file.

Jeremy Cole wrote:
Hi Nick,

This should do it:

  --sysconfdir=DIR       read-only single-machine data [PREFIX/etc]

Regards,

Jeremy

Nick Hill wrote:
Is there an easy way to build MySQL client library, server and start-up script so that /etc/my.cnf is ignored?

I need to build client and server so that it in no way interacts with the global system install, and build programs against that client library which also don't interact with the global system install.

My attempts so far show that I need to make hacks to get it to work, where I expected something like ./configure --prefix=/my/prefix --global_config=blah would do the trick but doesn't seem to be the case.

I notice Linux distros often have their configs in places other than /etc/my.cnf. Have I overlooked something?