This doesn't work?

SELECT businesses.name from businesses
left join links using (businessID)
left join categories using (categoryID)
where category.name = 'something'
order by businesses.name ASC

On 03/25/2007 12:40 PM, Sid Price wrote:
Hello,

I have a MySQL database design that provides an online business directory.
It consists of three tables; one with the names and addresses of the
businesses (names), one with the categories of businesses (categories), and
one that has an entry (a category ID and a business ID) for each
business/category pairing (entries), a business may be in multiple
categories.

The problem I am having is after having queried the "entries" table for all
the entries for a given category I query the "names" table for each entry to
display the business name and address, I can not figure a way to sort the
displayed data by company name, The "entries" table holds the business ID
and category ID so sorting the entries that match the category doesn't help.

Do I need to create a temporary table to hold the business names/addresses
in a category so that I can then sort it?

Thanks,

Sid.

Sid Price Software Design

http://www.softtools.com