Ok, sorry. When I described the initial scenario it wasn't exactly accurate. I want to find Joe in the list of everyone hired on the same date as Joe.

So when I do my query,something to the effect of:
select from users where hiring_date=$target_date ORDER BY user_uniq_id;
Now the result set should be sorted by user_uniq_id. Then I do a binary search using Joe's user_uniq_id.
(note user_uniq_id is an auto incremented field)

That should work, no...is there a faster/better way to do this? Some people suggested creating a temporary table, but I'm just concerned that there may be memory impacts on the server if lots of people require this query.

The result set could be pretty large...1000, 10,000, maybe even 100,000 if this app becomes popular. :)

-James