Issuing a 'reset master' will purge all of the logs as well. I wouldn't
just rm them, as they are being tracked in the index file.

 If you aren't running a slave, then these files are only good for data
recovery purposes. Say a DBA goes crazy and deletes all of the databases
mid-day (too much stress). You could restore the previous nights backup
and run these bin logs up to the point of the delete command - a little
bit of editing would be needed to do this, but you get the idea.

 For this to work smoothly, you need to reset the logs after every
backup. If your using mysqldump, just add the --delete-master-logs
option.

  If you want to turn the logs off, remove log-bin and log-bin-index
from the conf file.

Regards,
Scott Tanner