Hi Weston, all,

Weston C wrote:
Hi,

I'm trying to build MySQL 4.1.22 on a VPS where it looks like our
available memory could be as low as 32MB, and compilation is erroring
out partway through with a "virtual memory exhausted: cannot allocate
memory"  message.

32 MB isn't much, nowadays - consider the complexity of C++ and the amount of header files needed during compilation.

Also, "virtual memory" is not just RAM, it also includes your paging space (aka "swap device"): check its size and usage.

[[...]]

However, near as I can tell, when I add the flags --param
ggc-min-expand=0 and --param ggc-min-heapsize=8192 to CFLAGS in the
Makefile in the top-level source directory, nothing changes. The
output of make seems to indicate it's using the same flags as before I
changed the makefile. In fact, it looks like I can remove CFLAGS
entirely or change it to something like CFLAGS =
--hovercraft-full-of-eels and nothing changes.

Any obvious things I'm missing?  Ideas for other things I could try?

AFAIK, the CFLAGS value in a Makefile is not automatically passed to "make" runs in subdirectories. Better try this:

   cd <top-level-dir>
   configure <your-options-here>
   CFLAGS="--param ggc-min-expand=0 --param ggc-min-heapsize=8192" make

This way, you have the setting in the environment, and that is inherited (unless modified).

HTH,
Joerg

MySQL AB, www.mysql.com