Kevin Hunter wrote:
At 9:06p -0400 on 30 Apr 2007 John Kebbel wrote:

I'm having problems understanding NULL. I grasp what a NULL value is,

A NULL value is rather an oxymoron. It'd be more accurate to say that NULL means "absence of a value".

but I can't get NULL to perform correctly. For instance, if I do a
Select statement, I see that I have columns with a NULL value.

select first, last, suffix  from persons LIMIT 5;
+-----------+----------+--------+
| first     | last     | suffix |
+-----------+----------+--------+
| Benjamin  | Page     | NULL   |
| Jonathan  | Watson   | NULL   |
| Jose      | Thorson  | NULL   |
| Alejandro | Nickels  | NULL   |
| Griselda  | Richards | NULL   |
+-----------+----------+--------+
5 rows in set (0.01 sec)

Logically, it seems that a Select statement should find these five  plus
any other NULL values in the suffix column. However, such a select
statment returns an empty set.

mysql> select first, last, suffix  from persons where suffix IS NULL;
Empty set (0.00 sec)

Does anyone see what I'm doing wrong? (Thanks in advance for any  help.)

Caveat emptor: I haven't tested this in about a year.

Are you perchance using a table type of MyISAM? I seem to recall that MyISAM has a hard time actually representing NULL internally. [ ... Thinks for a minute ... ] I remember something about spaces, like, I think I did

INSERT ( val1, val2, NULL ) INTO myTable;

and was only able to get the tuples back when I did

SELECT * FROM myTable WHERE col3 = ' ';  -- a space character

If this is the case, you might consider using a different table type, such as InnoDB.

HTH,

Kevin

MyISAM has no problem representing NULL.

--
Gerald L. Clark
Supplier Systems Corporation