Hi,

Ofer Inbar wrote:
There's a system variable called expire_logs_days that lets you set a
number of days to keep binary logs, and automatically delete logs
older than that.  I've heard rumors that using this feature is
problematic.  I notice that in the MySQL documentation about binary
logging, it tells you to use "purge master logs" to delete old logs,
and does not mention the expire_logs_days variable as another option.
Is there a reason for this omission, or is it safe to use?
  -- Cos

Actually, the manual does mention the variable, but it doesn't work for us. We run a nightly cron job that just runs

/usr/bin/mysql -e "PURGE MASTER LOGS BEFORE DATE_SUB(CURRENT_DATE, INTERVAL 9
DAY)"

Baron