At 8:46 PM -0400 5/2/07, Baron Schwartz wrote:
Ofer Inbar wrote:
Mark Leith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Do keep in mind that expire_logs_days only gets triggered at a) server start up b) the time a binary log has to roll over.

If your binary logs do not roll over for quite a period of time (i.e are lower load systems) that still stay up for long periods - you might not see a log expired for some period.

That's a good point, though probably a minor one: At most you would
end up with one binary logfile that's "old" and not deleted.  As soon
as you create a new one, that one would be deleted (if this feature works).

In our case, we flush logs nightly.  (but hardly ever restart mysqld)
  -- Cos

We roll many logs every day, but never restart unless we have to. So for us, it looked like it genuinely wasn't working on roll; I have no idea about restart.

I have a 4.1.13 server that's been up for 100 days.  It has expire_logs_days,
and I have 7 binlog files.  I do flush my logs once a day to force the logs
to rotate.

So that's one confirmation that it works, at least in 4.1.13. :-)

--
Paul DuBois, MySQL Documentation Team
Madison, Wisconsin, USA