---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Jake Peavy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: May 4, 2007 7:41 AM
Subject: Re: expire_logs_days
To: Baron Schwartz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

On 5/4/07, Baron Schwartz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Mark Leith wrote:
> Baron Schwartz wrote:
>> I will test again on my servers now that I have upgraded to 5.0.38.
>> One question for people for whom expire_logs_days DOES work: do you
>> have any slaves connected to the server?
>>

> I did not within my test. I could easily add that if need be however..
> Let me know if your testing does show that it's not working for you.

I think we've found the bug.  I just did a bunch of tests and I'm 99% sure
not only
does expire_logs_days not work if there are slaves attached, neither does
PURGE MASTER
LOGS.  When I read my email this morning, Nagios alerted me the master
server was over
the expected disk usage, and I looked at the disk and saw our nightly
PURGE MASTER LOGS
job hasn't been working.

http://bugs.mysql.com/28238

It seems to me that some communication is neccessary in the case of
replication -- you wouldn't want to purge MASTER logs if the slave hadn't
parsed them yet.

Perhaps this is why the feature is disabled in this case.

-jp