On Wed, May 09, 2007 at 10:07:41PM -0400, Mathieu Bruneau wrote:
> We found a similar issue because we were using persistent connection in
> php and had a firewall between the mysql and the webserver. The problem
> is that our persistent connection were setup for lasting up to something
> like 8 hours but the firewall was keeping state of the connection only
> for up to 1 hour when no data was transferred. After the firewall had
> flushed the state of the connection and that the webserver were trying
> to communicate through it, he was reporting "Lost connection to mysql
> server during query"

It's a good suggestion, but I'm pretty sure there's no firewall
acting between the client and the server, and that the connection is
not being persisted (i.e. all connection attempts are genuine new
connections).

I've just upgraded all the clients and servers to 5.0.41 (which looks
like it just came out); I'll see what happens.