On Thu, May 10, 2007 at 08:58:37AM -0600, mos wrote:
> If you do a google search:
> http://www.google.ca/search?q=lost+mysql+connection+%22reading+authorization+packet%22&hl=en&start=90&sa=N
>
> you'll find about a hundred web sites encountering the exact same error.

Indeed, I noticed that ;-)

> Maybe the problem is with the hardware, like your network card
> disconnecting from the MySQL server machine? Or TCP/IP?

The only comment I could find from a MySQL employee suggested that.
But I don't believe them. There are no other network problems visible,
and the 'authorization packet' is mid-way through the connection setup
(i.e. the TCP/IP connection has already been successfully used to both
send and receive data if we get as far as the 'authorization packet').
I suspect some sort of bug in the MySQLd authentication code.