> Remember to quote the user and host carefully.  So,

The quoting is okay, I tested again

> If you have doubts about what you actually granted, do this:
> SHOW GRANTS FOR 'user'

I've sent this command:
grant all on mydatabase.* to 'myuser'@'%' identified by 'mypass';

Then tested the show grants:
show grants for 'myuser';
-------
Grants for [EMAIL PROTECTED] :
GRANT USAGE ON *.* TO 'myuser'@'%' IDENTIFIED BY PASSWORD '...'
GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON `mydatabase`.* TO 'myuser'@'%'

so it appears that user is added correctly, but when I try to connect get this
error again:

ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user 'myuser'@'localhost' (using
password: YES)

> Oh, one more place to look is at the server configuration in /etc/my.cnf or
> equivalent, to be sure networking is configured right.  You want to check
> the bind-address and skip-networking settings.  You don't want
> skip-networking, and you want bind-address set to the machine's IP address.
>  Now that I think of it, this is more likely to be the problem for you.

- skip-networking is disabled
- bind-address option is not present in /etc/my.cnf

should I try to add a:

bind-address = x.y.z.a

to the configuration file :-?

Thanks for any comment

P.S.
I've added the same user but using 'myuser'@'localhost' whithout deleting the
first one created, and the new show grants outputs the *same* two lines of
information

Grants for [EMAIL PROTECTED] :
GRANT USAGE ON *.* TO 'myuser'@'%' IDENTIFIED BY PASSWORD '...'
GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON `mydatabase`.* TO 'myuser'@'%'

but this time am able to connect. What can be wrong? or do I need to add
both '%' and 'localhost' hosts?