In my experience this happens a lot if you put application programmers in
charge of the database. I've upset quite a few in my time by introducing RI
and then their horribly coded application falls over!

-----Original Message-----
From: Peter Brawley [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 24 May 2007 17:31
To: Naz Gassiep
Cc: mysql@lists.mysql.com
Subject: Re: Integrity on large sites

Naz,

 >"*Really* big sites don't ever have referential integrity. Or if the
few spots
 >they do (like with financial transactions) it's implemented on the
application
 >level (via, say, optimistic locking), never the database level."

Mebbe that view was common in the MySQL community in the time of version
3, when the emphasis was on one site managing one db. Agreed the concept
is scary. Try that quote in an Oracle or MSSQL community :-)

PB

-----

Naz Gassiep wrote:
> I'm working in a project at the moment that is using MySQL, and people
keep making assertions like this one:

> "*Really* big sites don't ever have referential integrity. Or if the few
spots they do (like with financial transactions) it's implemented on the
application level (via, say, optimistic locking), never the database level."

> A large DB working with no RI would give me nightmares. Is it really true
that large sites turn RI off to improve performance? Am I just being naive
in thinking that everyone runs their DBs with RI in production?

This email is confidential and may also be privileged. If you are not the
intended recipient please notify us immediately by telephoning +44 (0)20 7452
5300 or email [EMAIL PROTECTED] You should not copy it or use it for any
purpose nor disclose its contents to any other person. Touch Local cannot
accept liability for statements made which are clearly the sender's own and are
not made on behalf of the firm.

Touch Local Limited
Registered Number: 2885607
VAT Number: GB896112114
Cardinal Tower, 12 Farringdon Road, London EC1M 3NN
+44 (0)20 7452 5300