Hi,

C K wrote:
My client got a strange problem today. Mysql returned err no 1205.
lock wait timeout exceeded. why? this error occured while updating the
record. This error isproduced for a single record. I have checked if
that record is in use while updating etc., but this record is not in
use.
I wait for some time again try to complete ithe operation. but isn't.
Then I duplicated the record with new rimery key Id and then deleted
the first record. Then changwd the new Id to old id. and it worked
well.
I can't understand why theabove error occuerred and the solution to it.
can you please help and give the details.

THis depends very much on the storage engine the table uses. How do you know the record was not in use?

I designed innotop (http://innotop.sourceforge.net/projects/innotop) to help debug these situations.

Cheers
Baron