gentleman's agreement that in order to modify the database, every process
must first lock that particular table.

For example:

#1)LOCK TABLE x;
#2)Make modifications to tables x, y, and z;
#3)UNLOCK TABLES;

Are there any race conditions in just using one table for this purpose?

For example, SQL guarantees that a given SQL statement is atomic.

But it is guaranteed that #2 will complete before #3 above?

If every process uses the same rule, can anything unexpected happen?

One more note:  I'm sure that many of the skilled users on this list will be
tempted to advocate more sophisticated methods.  I appreciate all advice,
but I'm just looking for an easy way to serialize access to my database and
guarantee mutual exclusion.  Each operation I want to do would take at most
half a second, so another web process waiting that long won't make a
difference.  Simpler is easier for me.

Thanks.