David T. Ashley wrote:
I decided to go with a simple paradigm for my web-based database.  Rather
than transactions, each process locks the entire database while it is
changing something, then unlocks it. This just serializes access (all other
processes will block until the one modifying the database has finished).

The method I was using is something like:

LOCK TABLE thistable, thattable, theothertable, goshthislistcangetlongtable;
Do whatever is needed;
UNLOCK TABLES;

I probably botched the syntax above.

Rather than enumerate every table in the database (which could get to be a
long list), I wondered if it is possible to just lock one table, with the
gentleman's agreement that in order to modify the database, every process
must first lock that particular table.
You could use a string lock for this.

--
Gerald L. Clark