Hello,

Although you state that there is no requirement for near real time synchronization, an alternative might be to look into DRBD. Which if you are not familiar with, is block-level replication.

See: http://www.mysql.com/products/enterprise/drbd.html

Combining DRBD with Linux Heartbeat also gives you failover capabilities.

Mohd posted a blog on his experience yesterday.

See: http://blog.irwan.name/?p=118

Jimmy Guerrero
Sr Product Manager
MySQL, Inc
Houston, TX

sol beach wrote:
I have limited experience with MYSQL replication; which is why I am hoping
others with more experience can answer a question or two.
Let's say I have a MASTER MYSQL database.
Let's say there are 50 - 60 other systems where I'd like to have MYSQL
running on these "slave" systems.
These slave systems need to be kept in synch with the Master, but it does
NOT need to be anywhere near real time.
The data in the slaves could lag as much a an hour or two.
The amount of data in total in the MASTER is in the range of 100MB - 250MB
The rate of changes to the data is in the range 2000 - 5000 DML per 24 hour
day.
We control the application so we can/will include date/time each record is
created or modified.
You can assume that no records ever get physically deleted; only INSERT &
UPDATE (no DELETE).

What are some alternative ways to keep the slave systems "current"?

TIA & HAND!