I don't run any master with that many slaves, for reasons that are irrelevant to this thread, but I know there is a point at which the slaves begin to place too much load on the master because they are all asking to read the binlog. I don't know what that point is exactly, but perhaps others can give some advice on that. I would expect, given the workload you describe, that 50 slaves might work okay -- but you should not listen to me.

However, you can do multi-tier replication. Let's imagine the limit is ten slaves, just for a round number. You can chain ten slaves off the master, configure them with log-slave-updates, and then chain ten more slaves off each of them. Now you can scale the system to 110 slaves with two tiers.

Baron

sol beach wrote:
Can 1 Master scale to replicate to 50 - 60 slaves?
I have limit experience with Master/Slave replication & doubt I can round up
the hardware to test a 50 node configuration.

On 6/8/07, Baron Schwartz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Hi sol,

sol beach wrote:
> I have limited experience with MYSQL replication; which is why I am
hoping
> others with more experience can answer a question or two.
> Let's say I have a MASTER MYSQL database.
> Let's say there are 50 - 60 other systems where I'd like to have MYSQL
> running on these "slave" systems.
> These slave systems need to be kept in synch with the Master, but it
does
> NOT need to be anywhere near real time.
> The data in the slaves could lag as much a an hour or two.
> The amount of data in total in the MASTER is in the range of 100MB -
250MB
> The rate of changes to the data is in the range 2000 - 5000 DML per 24
hour
> day.
> We control the application so we can/will include date/time each record
is
> created or modified.
> You can assume that no records ever get physically deleted; only INSERT
&
> UPDATE (no DELETE).
>
> What are some alternative ways to keep the slave systems "current"?

The best, easiest, simplest way to do this is just to use MySQL's built-in
replication.
Once you learn its (many) strengths and (relatively few) weaknesses, it
works
extremely well.

If you want to avoid some of the gotchas, I have written about my
experiences here:

http://www.xaprb.com/blog/2007/01/20/how-to-make-mysql-replication-reliable/

Hand-rolling replication is a bad idea in my opinion, so I don't have any
alternative
methods to suggest.  However, if you just need to sync some data
efficiently, try MySQL
Table Sync (http://mysqltoolkit.sourceforge.net/).

Cheers
Baron