Ian P. Christian wrote:
> I upgraded my slave server a few weeks ago, and the slave failed, with
> an error similar to the one shown below.

I have figured out what happened here now - and I'm part of the way
though fixing it.....

It turned out the defaults had changed somewhere, and rather then using
/var/lib/mysql/<hostname>-bin, it was using /var/run/mysql/mysqld-bin
(and the same change fro relay logs too).

Now... I've changed the slave to use it's correct logs now - however, if
I do the same on the master, I'll have the last 4 hours of logs in
/var/run/mysql/mysqld-bin ignored.

Somehow, I need to get the slave to catch up with the master's old logs
in /var/lib/mysql/<hostname>-bin, and then continue from the brand new
logs in /var/run/mysql/mysqld-bin

This is an awful mess, and I'm not sure it's recoverable - perhaps it is.

In theory, I should be able to find out where the slave was up to in the
old logs, extract them manually and replay them on the slave, and then
reset the slave to use the new logs - however i'm not sure how reliable
that's going to be - or even how to go about doing it yet.

Ideas anyone?

--
Ian P. Christian ~ http://pookey.co.uk