Ofer Inbar wrote:
> Assuming your slave is not usable by client programs now anyway and
> you don't mind it being unusable for a while longer, you can restart
> the slaving from scratch:

This is exactly what I'm trying to avoid doing, it means 2 days downtime
whilst the data is re-inserted.

I have actually managed to fix it now though.  I checked the old binary
log from the master, and it had no new data for the slave, so I simply
issued a 'CHANGE MASTER ...' on the slave to tell it to use the new
binary log file, with a position of 4 (the start) and off it when - back
to being in sync.

Why these defaults changed on a minor mysql release update is beyond me,
however I suspect this is gentoo's fault, not MySQLs.

--
Ian P. Christian ~ http://pookey.co.uk