Baron,

Thanks for the fast reply.

I like the idea of piping in the servername to a small table on startup. Since this will only change on startup, sounds like an excellent idea.

Or I may upgrade to above 5.0.41...

Regards,

Ben

Baron Schwartz wrote:
Hi,

Ben Clewett wrote:
Dear MySQL,

I'm running 5.0.26 through Heartbeat. Which seems to work well, even as a replication slave and Heartbeat continously stopping and starting the server.

The Heartbeat moves MySQL around from server to server when a failure occures. I am trying to find a way for MySQL to report the server host name on which it's currently sitting. Without any luck.

Would any kind members know of a way of getting this information from MySQL?

I only know of two ways, though there may be more.

1) The hostname system variable, which was added in 5.0.41 (http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/releasenotes-cs-5-0-41.html)

2) Perhaps a UDF that makes a system call.

There might be some external ways to do it also. For example, create a table with a single row, and have a startup script replace the value in it with the server's hostname upon startup. Then you can query this value.

Cheers
Baron