At 8:57 AM +0200 5/30/01, David Lidström wrote:
>  Let's say it's an image, zip archive or a PDF-file!?

How do *you* know this?  If you "just know it", based on some
knowledge that only you possess, then there's no way for MySQL
to guess.  If you know it based on some objective criterion,
then record the value of that criterion in your table (e.g., in
another column) so that MySQL can tell, too.

If you're looking for some magic bullet that will somehow look
at some arbitrary hunk of data in the BLOB column and characterize
it for you, then you're way outside the scope of what MySQL can
tell you.

--
Paul DuBois, [EMAIL PROTECTED]