Hi Dusan,

You replied to a forum post of mine on mysql.com yeah? ;)

I have tried adjusting the max_allowed_packet on both the server and client. Both are set to 1G now (apparently the highest value accepted) even though each row is no larger than 100M at very most.

I am thinking this may have something to do with --extended-insert. So rather than having all of data in an extended insert I have tried disabling this feature with --extended-insert=0, --extended- insert=false, --skip-extended-insert (not all at once obviously)... am I doing this correctly? Mixed results when I search google for answers. I don't really care at this stage if backup/restore times are reduced with this feature disabled, as long as I can get an accurate backup.

I also set --net_buffer_length=800M; in theory --extended-insert will only create queries up to this value, so if I keep it lower than the --max_allowed_packet value it should all be sweet. Still no cigar unfortunately.