Hello, I have a query that I can't figure out how to do.  I would be really
happy if some SQL experts could give me a little advice on how to do this....

I have two tables.  I believe that the tables can be described as having a
one to many relationship.  Below are the columns in each table, relevant to
the query...

  Table: assessments
  ---------------
  assessment_id  int() primary key
  sent_status       tinyint()

  Table: assessment_hits
  ---------------
  assessment_id int()
  hit_date           timestamp(14)

The assessment_id column in assessment_hits doesn't have to be unique, so the
table has many rows with the same assessment_id and different hit_date values.

What I want to find out is, how many assessments.assessments_ids with a
sent_status =1 there are for each month.

Here's what I did that didn't work...

SELECT DATE_FORMAT(h.hit_date, '%Y %M') as month, count(*) as total
FROM assessment_hits h, assessments a
WHERE a.assessment_id = h.assessment_id
AND a.sent_status = 1
GROUP BY LEFT(h.hit_date, 6)

This gives me how many assessment_ids with a sent status = 1 there are in the
assessment_hits for each month.

How do I just use one hit_date from assessment_hits for each
assessments.assessment_id with a sent_status=1?  I don't care which hit_date
it uses, preferably the most recent one, but it doesn't matter.

I'm thinking that I have to use a special join, but I don't know.

Thanks,
Nathanial Hendler
Tucson AZ USA
http://retards.org/