Mysql restricts access outside the server after the installation (on not all, but several cases) so i suggest to connect to the mysql database as root and review the host values on the user table, that can give you an idea of who is allowed and from where is allowed ...remeber that % means anywhere.

If you need more information i suggest to read the manual searching by users permissions.

Carlos

Ferindo Middleton wrote:
I found how to bind to addrees to but didn't find anything in my.ini about
skip-networking.... but now I have this problem where the I can't connect
locally sitting at the computer using hostname localhost.... if I type in
the IP address of the computer I get a messsage saying "{Hostname} is not
allowed to connect to this MySQL server"

Ferindo

On 6/21/07, Baron Schwartz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Hi,

Ferindo Middleton wrote:
> I've installed MySQL5 on a machine running Windows XP.  I'm not an
> user so I chose all the default  configuration settings when I went
through
> the setup wizard for the server instance. The database works fine and I
can
> access it when I'm sitting at the computer through the command line
client
> and MySQL Query Browser. However, if I try to access the server instance > from another computer on my LAN via MySQL Query Browser, I get a message
> saying the connection is refused.... How do I configure the server to
allow
> incoming connections from other computers on my network?

Try to configure bind-address to the server's IP address, and ensure
skip-networking is not defined.

Baron