Hi,

I am very new to MySQL. I have downloaded and installed the "
mysql-essential-5.0.41-win32.msi" version for Windows XP.
After installation and instance configuration, the following thing runs
fine:

mysql -u root -p
Enter password: *********

-- gets me to the mysql prompt and the following things also work fine

mysql> create database test_dev
Query OK, 1 row affected <0.00 sec>
mysql> grant all on test_dev.* to 'root'@'localhost';  (this works fine, but
'kapil'@'localhost' in its place gives ERROR 1133)
Query OK, 1 row affected <0.01 sec>

(this means that the mysql server is up and running)
I then write a small create.sql file, in the child folder db/create.sql:

drop table if exists products;
create table products (
id int not null auto_increment,
primary key (id)
);

The problem now comes when i write the following command:
cwd>mysql test_dev <db/create.sql

It now gives me the following error message:
ERROR 1045 <28000>: Access denied for user 'ODBC'@'localhost' <using
password: NO>

I have tried looking for some responses online, but most of them said that
the problem is related to root user and password etc., but I guess I am able
to login to the mysql prompt.  I also tried the following ( and got error
!!):

cwd>mysqladmin ping
mysqladmin: connect to server at 'localhost' failed
error: 'Access denied for user 'ODBC'@'localhost' <using password: NO>'

Confused as to what is going on !!

Sorry for making it too long, but just wanted to make it as clear as
possible from my side. Any help will be most appreciated.

Thanks,
Kapil

--
I can sum up everything i learned about life in three words -- IT GOES ON !!