Hi,

If at all possible, normalizing the data is far and away the best solution. Failing that, you can use regular expressions

  RLIKE REPLACE(col, ' ', '|')

or INSTR(....). Another solution is fulltext search, but it would have many limitations depending on what you really need to do. Otherwise, try the approaches given here: http://www.sommarskog.se/arrays-in-sql.html

But prepare yourself for some deep thinking if you want to understand how they work, especially the one that works against a table of numbers; it's a little murky, though it is probably the best of the solutions.

Weston, Craig (OFT) wrote:
Hello all. I have a query I am tring to implement and I can't wrap my
mind around it somehow. Can anyone help?

. I have two tables within a database.
Within the first table, I have a blob field that basically has a large
amount of text.

Within the second table, I have a list of strings (in this case
application names).

Is there some way that I can search the blob for any occurrence of any
of the strings? (returning the string name)?

There could be more than 1 match.

Any ideas?
Thank you for any help you may offer.

Craig
This e-mail, including any attachments, may be confidential, privileged or
otherwise legally protected. It is intended only for the addressee. If you
received this e-mail in error or from someone who was not authorized to send it
to you, do not disseminate, copy or otherwise use this e-mail or its
attachments.  Please notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail and delete
the e-mail from your system.