Andrew Carlson wrote:
I have created a new table, with an auto_increment value. I would like the
first auto_increment value to be 1001. So I -

1) inserted a fake record with an id of 1000
2) alter table tblname auto_increment=1000 (with and without a fake record) 3) alter table tblname auto_increment=1001 (with and without a fake record)

Mysql  version is 5.0.38 using MyIsam tables.  Can someone explain
auto_increment, more than what is in the manual?  I have read it, and
apparently I am missing something or don't understand it.   Thanks!

mysql> CREATE TEMPORARY TABLE autotest (
-> id INT UNSIGNED NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT, -> name VARCHAR(10) NOT NULL,
   -> PRIMARY KEY (id))
   -> AUTO_INCREMENT = 1001;

mysql> INSERT INTO autotest (name) VALUES ('Gary'), ('Andrew'), ('Paul');
Query OK, 3 rows affected (0.00 sec)
Records: 3  Duplicates: 0  Warnings: 0

mysql> SELECT * FROM autotest;
| id   | name   |