B. Keith Murphy wrote:
Hey all. I have a bit of a problem. We are upgrading from ver 4.1.x to
5.0.45. That's not the problem :). The problem is that MySQL recommends
dumping and importing your data when doing this upgrade to make sure that
things go as smoothly as possible. We have quite a bit of data spread over
multiple servers. We have slaves off each master server and the plan is
upgrade the slaves and then make them the masters.

The problem is that I am realizing that this dump/import is going to take
hours and in some cases days. I am looking for any way to speed this up. Any
suggestions?

The fastest way I've found is to do SELECT INTO OUTFILE on the master, which selects into a sort of tab-delimited format by default -- don't specify any options like field terminators or whatnot. This file can then be imported directly into LOAD DATA INFILE, again without options.

I think this is faster than loading files full of SQL statements, which have to be parsed and query-planned etc.

I thought mysqldump had an option to dump this way, but I can't see it now.

I'd use mysqldump to just dump the structures, routines etc without data, and then load the data separately.

Beware: replication from 4.1.x to 5.0.40 will fail. The MySQL changelog didn't list it as an incompatible change, but there is some bug that got fixed around 5.0.38 (sorry, I forget what it was and can't find it now). When the slave checks the master version, it throws an error and stops saying "I refuse because of this bug."

Baron