On Tue, Jul 24, 2007 at 02:49:55PM -0500, mos wrote:
>       Since you're here, maybe you can answer a question for me. Will
> Falcon eventually replace InnoDb? Or do you have another engine in mind?

There is no effort underway to "replace" InnoDB. Last I heard, Oracle
intends to keep developing InnoDB, and MySQL intends to keep
distributing it as part of the main distribution.

The MySQL storage engine interface is designed to allow alternatives,
and as we're seeing with the growing number of storage engines (from
MySQL and others in the community), there are a lot of different ways to
skin the data-storage cat. Each storage engine brings with it different
strengths and weaknesses that make it more or less suitable for
different workloads.

Robin Schumacher has written a series of articles on Falcon that explain
some of its strengths and weaknesses, and I assume there will be more as
Falcon gets closer to a stable release. (And of course, you should go
ahead and download the Falcon development releases, try it out, and let
us know about any problems you find.)

Jim Winstead
MySQL Inc.