Hi gang,

After reading through two years of 'how do I back up my database' threads, I'm trying out the various backup mechanisms offered up.

I've read through these steps:
  http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/innodb-backup.html

Running a local box and a remote box, both with Fedora 6, MySQL 5. Trying to copy a local /var/lib/mysql/mydata InnoDB.

The problem: After I copy InnoDB files to a remote box, the MySQL server on the remote box won't restart. Here are the steps I've followed:

1. Stop the local and remote servers
2. Rename the remote ibdata and ib_logfile0 files
3. Copy the local ibdata and ib_logfile0 files to the remote /var/lib/mysql folder 4. Copy the local /var/lib/mysql/mydata/* to the remote /var/lib/mysql/mydata/* folder (contains one .frm and db.opt)
5. Change the ownership of the remote files and folders to 'mysql'
6. Restart the remote server (service mysqld start)
7. Failure, with a 'timeout' error

There is no error log created in the remote /var/lib/mysql folder.

When I rid the copied files and folders, and then rename the originals back to their initial names, the server starts up nice and neat again.

I can copy a MyISAM database from the local box to the remote box and it is accessible via the remote MySQL server just fine.

Obviously, there is something wrong in the way I'm copying the InnoDB files.

What am I missing?

Whil