I did a search and couldn't find anything like what I'm looking for and
though I doubt something like this does exist, I figured I'd ask anyway.  Is
there a client (not phpMyAdmin) that can connect to a server (that is
running MySQL) using SSH and connect to the database that way?  Right now,
the only way we are allowed to access the actual server is by using either
SSH or SFTP.  The only way we can access the MySQL database on that server
is either use phpMyAdmin (which I don't particularly care for; not to
disparage the hard work of the developers, it's just a matter of personal
preference) or use the command line.

I'm hoping that there is client software out there that can do what I'm
looking for.  Does it exist?

thnx,
Christoph